Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Merry Holiday Decor

Hi everyone! If you're looking for the Rock Chalk Baby Blog Hop, please click HERE. 

It's One Buck Wednesday at Jessica Sprague, and the Glitz Design's Hello December paper and elements are on sale. Woo hoo! It is a *gorgeous* holiday collection.

I went a little different this week and use the digital elements to make some holiday home decor. I got this idea from CREATE Decor Magazine (I'm sorry, I don't know who it was--I don't have my issue with me!).



It's hard to believe, but this decor started as a block of wood. Want to see how I did it? I have a little tutorial.



  1. First, find a piece of scrap wood (or buy a board). Mine is 5.25" tall, but you could make it as tall as you want. Next, cut angles from the sides (I had my husband do this part). There was a light finish on my piece of wood, so I sanded it lightly.
  2. Paint the block. It doesn't have to be perfect. :)
  3. Resize the Hello December digital papers to a smaller scale. Print them and trim them to fit to your block. I traced them from the back side and then trimmed them slightly smaller to show a border. You could skip this next step, but I covered the papers and block with Matte Mod Podge. It will help smooth the papers at the edges.
  4. Resize the Hello December wreath from the element pack. Crop the heart from the woodgrain paper in the Paper Pack. For the door, layer the polka dot paper under the frame element. Print these items and fussy cut them.

When you're done with the elements, you can add any details. I added coarse glitter to the wreath, spritzed the lace lightly with mist, and added the twine and jingle bell.

Here's a close-up:



If you like the Glitz papers and elements, be sure to take advantage of the sale today at Jessica Sprague.

Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great day!


Supplies
Digital elements: (wreath from Element Pack 1; green frame, red polka dot, red herringbone, tree paper from Element Pack 2; floral paper, Merry heart from Paper Pack--all from Hello December collection) Glitz Design
Fibers: (Yellow twine) Divine Twine; (lace) May Arts
Mist: (Pearl, Gold Mr. Huey's) Studio Calico
Glitter: Martha Stewart
Other: Mod Podge, craft paint

2 comments:

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs